I think a recipe is called for and I love this one, even if it is out of my afternoon tea book.
EARL GREY AND LEMON MINI LOAF CAKES
4 Earl Grey tea bags
115g unsalted butter
225g granulated sugar
2 large eggs
125g self raising sugar
1/2 lemon juice and zest
200g icing sugar
sugar flowers optional
- Place the milk in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Take off the heat and immerse the tea bags in the hot milk and set aside to cool.
- Squeeze the tea bags out into the liquid and set aside to cool some more.
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line 8 mini loaf tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. When it’s light and fluffy, add the eggs one by one. Add half the flour and half the tea infused milk. Add until combined, then add the other half and mix until completely combined.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Set on a wire tray to cool.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice and zest together and pour over the sponges. Add a sugar flower if using.
- Eat and enjoy when the icing is fim.